Monday, July 5, 2010

Trip to the Farmers Market and Weekend Meals.

The best Farmers Market I’ve ever been to is the Eastern Market in Detroit, Michigan. Many Saturday mornings, I was excited to go to the Eastern Market with my family. It was like a big event. We, along with thousands of others, would spend half the day there. Upon arriving at the market around 9 am, we would make our rounds sampling and purchasing fresh produce. Afterwards, we would visit the meat department and stock up on fresh fish and anything else. The last couple of stops we would make was to the candy store where they sold my favorite candy, Chick O Sticks, and a mom and pop restaurant where they made the best chili dogs and chili fries. I have yet to visit a farmers market that comes close to Eastern Market.


This Saturday, I went to the Farmers Market in downtown Phoenix and was a little disappointed. Maybe I got there too late or people were there before it officially opened. It was scheduled to open at 8:00. I was there at 8:15. I walked around looking for fruits, veggies, herbs and whatever else was interesting. I did not find any veggies or fruit but I did find some interesting herbs I’ve never seen before. Under this one booth, they had basil, Thai basil, lime basil, lemon basil, peppermint, lemon peppermint, spearmint, grapefruit mint, lime mint, and chocolate mint. I purchase the lime basil, peppermint and Thai basil. I love the smell of herbs. I will go again but earlier!
Lime Basil, Peppermint and Lime Mint


I went to Whole Foods and Sprouts for the rest of my grocery shopping. My total for all of my groceries, including the Farmers Market herbs was $31.74 which puts my under budget $2.86. Below is my grocery list.

Saturday's Meals
Morning Juice: ABC Juice
ABC Juice:
1 Apple
1 Beet
1 Carrot
Small piece ginger


Berry Smoothie:
1 cup Blueberries
1 Banana
½ cup Almond milk 
1-2 Dates (optional)



Snack 1: Trail Mix
Trail Mix
1 oz of mixed nuts
2 Tbsp dried fruit




Sunday's Meals



Lunch: Marinated Kale on Parsnip 'Rice'

Snack: Peppermint and Cacoa Nib Shake 
Cacao Nibs, Peppermint, Cashew Milk and Dates


No comments:

Post a Comment